Dance was a strong passion of mine for 15 years. When I was younger I was always the youngest in my dance class because I had experience and I was mature. I wondered what it would be like to be the oldest in the class so I started volunteering teaching dance classes. I started out as an assistant instructor, then I became a dance teacher on call, and finally in my last year of dancing I co-taught a class with one of my good friends who I had grown up dancing with.

I also volunteered with Sooke Minor Fastball and helped coach my younger sister’s U-10 team. I mainly worked with the pitchers but I also helped the first year players become more confident in the sport. This experience included breaking down the movements of pitching, teaching them how to pitch, proper techniques of throwing and catching, and how to improve their skills at their current level of competency.

I have experience as a tutor. I tutored throughout the summer of 2018 and 2019. I tutor math, French, and English focusing on spelling and reading. I usually work with children ages 5-10 years old. Each summer I have more and more students as word of mouth spreads my business throughout my small town.

As for experience working in Elementary classrooms I have had the opportunity to work in three different Elementary schools so far. I am so grateful to be able to make new connections at schools across the community. Each experience has been unique and I have learned different things at each school that I have been to. My first experience was independent volunteering to get enough hours to proceed into the second year of my program. In the first term of my second year in the education program, I was lucky enough to have my second experience working in an Elementary school every Wednesday until Christmas break. In second term of my second year (before the pandemic begun)I had a field experience assignment for my EPHE 311 course where I co-taught three physical education lessons to an elementary class.

Covid-19 has prevented me from furthering my experience in classrooms. I miss the energy of the students in schools and I look forward to being able to safely teach in person again soon.