Here are my 4 learning goals for my action plan for EDCI 330;

1) Develop an electronic portfolio

Teacher Education Competency #3: Cultivate a culture of professionalism by demonstrating professional standards, including the Professional Standards for BC Educators.

This was the goal I worked on the most however I was able to pick up where I left off and revamp my eportfolio that I created for EPHE 311. I have updated each section of my eportfolio, added a few more links to lesson plans and research blogs posted on my other blog website and added some photos. Having a digital portfolio was a requirement that I did not know about before year two in the education program. After creating mine last year and further developing it this year I can see why it is a valuable asset to have as a future educator. My eportfolio is a complex resume and representation of myself as an educator and it demonstrates my professionalism which related to the Teacher Ed. competency #3.

2) Explore the effects of colour, visuals and language used in writing and information around the classroom

BCTC #3: Educators understand and apply knowledge of student growth and development. Educators are knowledgeable about how children and youth develop as learners and social beings. Educators demonstrate an understanding of individual learning differences and needs. Educators recognize the importance and connection of cultural identity, ways of being and worldviews to student learning. Educators use this knowledge to inform decisions about curriculum, instruction and assessment. Educators work to create a positive, safe and inclusive learning environment to best meet the diverse needs of students.

This goal relates to this competency because the decorations and writing in the classroom contributes to the inclusive learning environment that I want to create. I found the research for this to be very interesting. Here is my takeaways from this goal. I learned that visuals and colours in the classroom effect the development of students, the classroom environment and their feelings.

3) Organize teaching materials

BCTC #5: Educators implement effective planning, instruction, assessment and reporting practices to create respectful, inclusive environments for student learning and development. Educators have the knowledge and skills to facilitate learning for students, including learning experiences that reflect individual contexts and local environments. Educators value collaborative practice. Educators recognize and understand the interconnectedness of all aspects of teaching and learning and employ a variety of instructional and assessment strategies. Educators communicate effectively in either English or French. Educators know when to seek support for their practice and for students.

BCTC #6: Educators demonstrate a broad knowledge base and an understanding of areas they teach. Educators understand the curriculum and methodologies of areas they teach. Educators teach curricula from Canadian, First Nations, Inuit, Métis, and global perspectives. Educators build upon student capacity for intercultural understanding, empathy and mutual respect. Educators cultivate the values, beliefs and knowledge of Canada’s democratic and inclusive society.

I have created a teaching materials folder on my desktop of my laptop as well as organizing a folder on my Google Drive. Since I have my materials organized and saved to the same place I will be able to find things easier and this will allow me to plan more effectively which connects to BCTC #5. I can also now see which areas I need to create more lesson plans for and which I have a good amount of preparation done already which connects to BCTC #6. I am so glad that I have all my teaching materials in one place and that I took the time to go through my emails and download resources off of Brightspace and Preston’s website. Since creating this folder, I have started the habit of downloading and saving resources as I find them and then adding them to this folder. Now that I have more in this folder I have begun to think of ways I will organize it further. In the meantime, I am glad the folder is created as I refer to it often and it saves me time looking for things.

4) Improve my assertiveness

Improving my assertiveness connects to this competency because it is a large contributor to a professional image and professionalism in general. This was a big goal for me, but I enjoyed learning and stepping out of my comfort zone. Since the start of the semester I have peer taught a few times in zoom requiring lots of group meetings and negotiating. I often used to sit back and let my group come up with ideas and decisions but I am now more often  the one presenting ideas and I speak up when I disagree. I have noticed a change in my confidence with speaking on zoom as well (since that is the medium for all our classes). Earlier on in the year I had the fear of interrupting people when speaking since we do not raise hands on zoom but now I try to confidently speak what I want to say and express my thoughts on the topic. I have also tried to keep the conversation going  (and on topic) in breakout rooms even in music class where I am grouped with someone from the other cohort and am less comfortable with since we do not have a preexisting relationships before zoom classes.

Here is a summary and reflection of my research about developing a professional image.